This is the evaluating process of certain traits of the literary character. This includes additional elements consideration like different conflicts they face and the role they are playing in the story.
When we analyze the character, it is important to remain critical, base the conclusions concerning every character being analyzed on certain areas, and ask clear and concise analysis questions.
In general, the author will utilize great detail when they describe the character’s outward appearance. Being a reader, usually, you are capable of deducing the character’s age, ethnicity, body size, and other relevant characteristics.
Similar to any other written task, character analysis might be completed with experienced academic writers’ help.
The writer might even reveal certain character features, being the motivation, personality, behavior, or relationship of the character’s habits. If you take time for a clear analysis of these elements, it will be possible to start developing the character’s framework outward and inward qualities.
What is the character analysis meaning?
Frequently, expert writers tend not to directly mention the character’s traits in their books. It is the reader’s business to be attentive to catch such traits along the storyline process.
By character analysis, we mean noticing every tiny detail which might seem insignificant, reading between the text lines, and selecting the subtle hints which the writer might utilize developing their characters.
For example, it might be a character that has gone via certain catastrophic experiences mentioned in the storyline. However, he ends up facing a proverbial happy ending. The writer might not have come outright necessarily, stating that the character is worthy, brave, and strong. However, you will be able to assume that the character’s feature exists simply by analyzing the character’s behaviors in a certain book.
What is the best way to perform the character analysis?
Analyzing an interesting character might be fun. It supposes having a certain investigative theory degree and enough desire to comprehend the personality. Fortunately, for the vast majority of us, doing a character analysis does not require a good knowledge of Freudian theories or the human psyche.
Look at these things when you complete the character’s analysis:
- Motivation. Define the reasons that are underlying why the certain character is analyzed is acting the way they are doing. Identify why they make certain choices. Figure out whether they act impulsively and ethically.
- Actions. Check out the way the character acts. Define the way their actions influence those around them. Define whether or not they are the type to thwart wrongdoings. Identify whether or not they are mischievous and devious. You can judge a lot from away the character says.
- What are they saying? Define whether a character has a strong education grasp. Identify whether they utilize a lot of slang. Do they utilize generational phrases? There are no pictures or photos in many books, so the author must depict the character utilizing words.
- Descriptions. Define the way they are interacting with the character that describes them. Identify the way the character is describing themselves. Are these descriptions judgmental, emotional, or physical?
- Names. What is the imagery used to name the character? Can you make conclusions about the character’s personality grounded on these images?
Main Types of Characters
There are various types of characters; each of them is playing a small part in a big puzzle. Characters might be bad, good, stereotypical, and insignificant.
You might encounter these types of characters in your reading:
- Protagonist. Typically, this is the most important story’s character. The most necessary feature of the protagonist has been that they must absolutely do something. They have to move the whole story forward. If the character just managed to let things go on around them, they might not be called interesting.
- Antagonist. This is a character that is hated by most of the readers. They should cause conflict with the protagonist. Here you should explore motivation.
- Major character. He or she plays a major role in a big story and might even be classified under the multiple categories of the character. For instance, there might be a protagonist having two close friends. One of them is dummy, but the other one is a major character. It is your business to figure it out and explore their interactions.
- Minor character. These characters are playing smaller roles. They fade out and in of the storyline. Often, they are static characters or the stereotypes.
- Dynamic character. This character will change and expand. Both the antagonist and the protagonist can be defined as dynamic ones.
- Static character. This character will remain the way they are via the entire story. However, such characters are worth analyzing.
- Stereotypes. Writers often use such characters’ types to fill up space. Everyone is aware of the geek, the boring housewife, or the typical jock without further explanation.
Outline of character analysis
If you proceed to analyze a certain character, you might find they are filling in 1,2 or 3 specific categories of characters, and it is normal. Your target is to make a description of the character’s personality, the value they are bringing, and their role in the specific story.
1. Describe the character’s personality. You will be introduced to the characters via the characters’ words, the things they do, and the emotions they face. It is simple to determine the character’s personality based on outward behaviors.
During the story’s development, you will get small hints concerning the character’s personality via the mannerisms they might have, how they are moving, the way they are acting, and the things they are saying.
You will find out that the character might fit into 1 of the categories of the character mentioned above.
2. Explore the character’s role. When you compose the character analysis, it is important to make a definition of the character’s role.
Apart from unique character features expressing, the character would also be fit into the story’s certain role. It might be either a minor role being a less significant and smaller story’s component or a major role being a story’s key component.
3. Outline the development and growth of the character. To finish doing your analysis, you should explain the way character changes and matures with the progress of the plot.
Most of the characters would go through certain changes via the story’s course. Mind if the character learns something new, enters into new relationships, falls apart, becomes stronger, etc. Note any scenes or areas when these modifications occur. You might be alerted with such cues as “suddenly, for the first time” or “it has been then that she realized…”
Outline example of character analysis essay
Like all other paper types, the character essay will consist of the intro, main body, and conclusion.
Introduction. A proper intro is a certain glue that is binding the entire paper together. It asks a question or makes a statement. It informs the reader of what will be going on later on. You should write a brief character’s description to motivate your reader.
Body paragraphs. The paragraphs must be divided and organized with information or ideas together. They must follow the key points’ sequence, which is mentioned in the intro. Mention the following in the main body:
- Define the characters’ physical attributes. Describe the way they look, their background, and their personality.
- Identify the conflict the character experiences. Figure out how they managed to overcome or not.
- Explain what the reader might learn from a certain character, the necessary lessons, or key takeaways.
Conclusion. This is the final part, summarizing the paper. Here you will have a final chance to highlight the most necessary findings or traits from your character’s analysis and restate the thesis statement. It is proper to paraphrase a few points that were made in the main body, giving some examples for every one of them. You might select to utilize a quote which you are feeling demonstrates the character or speculates the place they will fit into our world.
All things considered; it might be rather interesting to compose a character’s analysis. However, reading the book, you will have to be very attentive to every single detail in order not to miss any relevant information or hints from the author. Also, you will have to develop your imagination and critical thinking since these features are the object of evaluation of your professor or teacher. In other words, your abilities in analyzing and making solid conclusions are being evaluated by your tutor, so you will have to do your best, writing the character analysis of a certain book or story.
What shall I do if I do not want to write the character analysis myself?
Frankly speaking, you should relax and stay still. Why? Because you might order a paper from our paper writing service and just have fun. Just imagine: you do not need to worry about the grammar and language of your essay. So you might have more time to spend the way you like. Hence, the best option for you is to buy a paper with character analysis now and enjoy your life! Truly, the ordering process is a piece of cake.