Anyone who’s looking for a job or is going to obtain a decent education or apply for a grant knows how essential a recommendation letter can be. That’s why many students face this assignment in their universities or in real life. So you need to know how to write it in order to help your employees or prepare a template for yourself.
Regardless of your purposes, you need to learn how to give written recommendations. And we are ready to help.
Definition of a letter of recommendation
First things first it is important to understand a definition. A recommendation letter is a document where the skills, capabilities, and qualifications of the particular person described. They are evaluated in accordance with the position or privileges to which the individual applies. The letter can be written by your previous manager, or a tutor, or a professor in the case you need an academic letter of recommendation. That means you should perform a request to the individual you trust enough. The reverse situation may also happen – when you will be asked to write this letter. That’s why it is better for you to be always ready.
Why are letters of recommendation important?
When people send their resumes to work, documents to the university, for an internship or a scholarship, they seek to show their best. Attach only those documents that show their positive experience can confirm their value in the eyes of the employer or educational institution. Facts can be verified, but there is still much evidence that cannot be verified officially. For example, the fact that a person is often late is irresponsible in his duties and fails his or her colleagues. Or vice versa, he is always friendly and attentive. For this, you need a specific letter. If you occupy a good position and have achieved something, you can judge a person as a student or employee. Thus, you can give him a recommendation by telling about your experience in communication and cooperation.
Several points to consider before writing
- Always remember, that someone’s future is at stake because of your letter of recommendation. This person is waiting for a good review for you, so try to build his or her reputation to secure their future. You have a big responsibility in your hands.
- It is essential to make your letter of recommendation relevant. Keep in mind the subject matter that the paper was requested for. For example, if your acquaintance is preparing a request for admission, you should write only about those qualifications that are connected with an educational specific. Make sure, that you include knowledge, skill, and capabilities that are relevant to the desired position of the individual.
- Remember that your main goal is not to praise the individual, not to tell how wonderful he is and how he deserves all the best. You should write the truth only, describing their character, personality. That’s why you can even decline the request if you don’t know that person well enough. Do not take such responsibility if you are not ready to vouch for someone. Otherwise, you’ll face some unnecessary discrepancies.
- This is a common paper, no property sales contract. Don’t be to shy and show your creativity while writing the letter of recommendation. But don’t let that feeling take control so much. You need to come up with a short and detailed recommendation letter, avoid irrelevant data.
- Before coming up with a paper, ask the person to show you their resume and cover letter. This will help you make a recommendation that will be in harmony with existing documents.
How to write a professional letter of recommendation
Follow this format to succeed.
Imagine that you’re writing a common letter to somebody. Of course, you will start with a salutation. It isn’t a must for a professional letter, but you may include it. You can write something like “Dear Mr. Doe”. If you don’t know the name actually, rely on the common “To whom it may concern,”.
Start on a positive note. Open a letter with a short, but nice phrase. You’ll show the reader that you believe in the individual. Don’t be insincere, don’t lie, but an enthusiastic note to start will help you a lot. Write something like: “I’m really happy to recommend Annie for the internship at ABC Company.”, “No matter what Annie Smith does, she does it well”. Also, you can provide some additional information, for example, tell about your relationship with this person, how long were you working together, why you, and not another person, write this recommendation.
The main chapter is the most essential. It is your chance to provide your arguments and to persuade the person for whom you’re writing. So you should write down a list of skills, capabilities, knowledge, additional useful information and then come up with a letter with all that data included. Do brainstorming before that to make sure you’ve written all the ideas possible. It will help you to structure your text, to make it logical, consistent and persuasive. You should write about the educational or working background, about character, about personality.
Use this list to mention all the useful information:
- potential (e.g. leadership);
- ability to set goals;
- team working;
- personal experience.
If you’re sure that the individual always meets deadlines and you can prove that with some examples, write about it. If you know how ambitious the person is, which goals he or she has, write about it. Your letter of recommendation should be personal, with your own opinion, your thoughts, and reflexion. If you had doubts, and then the person refuted them, write about that. It is natural that people have doubts, and it is essential how others deal with them. List the main achievements, difficult situations, dilemmas. Make sure that this all happened right before your eyes. That’s how you will build trust, confidence that your words are true.
And of course. you should make some conclusions. This chapter will help you to organize them and to make a logical ending. You can sum up your experience of knowing the individual, of working or studying with him or her. Think of how you can make a strong remark to help. Do not overdo it. You’ve already described all the information in the previous section. Now you just need to draw conclusions and leave a pleasant aftertaste for the reader. And don’t forget to include your contact information: name, number, email to provide the addressee with an opportunity to get in touch with you. They may need some clarifications, so be ready for that and don’t ignore their questions.
How to write a letter of recommendation for a scholarship
A letter of recommendation for a scholarship is one of the types of academic letters. That’s why you should use the same technique or manner. It is important to write about academic qualifications, knowledge, skills. There are certain requirements for scholarships, and your task is to tell in a letter that the student does totally meet them. If it is true, of course. Help the reader understand as more as possible about the person. Does he or she really deserve this scholarship, what skills and achievements can confirm this?
Take a look at the generally accepted structure. It is needed to understand how to write an application with a letter for a scholarship.
Remember that there are different educational levels. Students can apply for college or university, request a letter written by a teacher, and for a letter written for a teacher. Writing the academic recommendation letter you should follow the same format as the professional one. But there are some insignificant differences. Take a look:
- You should write about a particular educational establishment if you’re writing for a student. Or about a particular job, when it is a teacher who is applying.
- Tell only about positive things, no negative and doubts. You should increase the chances of acceptance. If you can’t do that, just don’t write the letter and ask the applicant to contact another person.
- When it goes about an academic letter of recommendation, not only content is important, but also layout. You should follow particular requirements, such as the volume, the size, delivery system, etc. All this will be taken into account.
- Personal letters of character reference letters may be requested by different instances. You can write that letter even if you are a friend, a neighbor, a business client, etc.
- Writing a personal letter of recommendation, start with a normal salutation, something like Dear Peter or Dear Anna.
- Identify 1 or 2 essential traits, focus and build of them writing a letter. It is important to find those traits by yourself, but don’t be carried away by your attachments to the personal. Always remember your letter should include useful information only, without any sentimental facts or memories. Of course, it is not easy, especially when it goes about a close person. But you should be honest and preserve integrity in your letter.
- Preparing your paper for submission, follow the requirements. Make sure your document has the proper format (word or pdf), send a physical letter or an email, during to rules given.
- Reread your letter several times. It should be positive, express your full confidence in the person, show that you recommend him or her and have reasons for this.
- Upon completion, inform the person you wrote about that you are already done with a letter of recommendation.
Take a look at a good example to understand what is required of you. It is a temple just to inspire you and to provide you with an idea of what is expected from you. Or if you don’t feel confident, you can order a letter of recommendation by professional writers. Just provide us with all the information, and we’ll prepare a perfect paper for you.
The next important step is the presentation of your letter. It should be attractive for the reader, cause a desire to read it. To do this, you need to choose the font of the text and its size, color, use different formatting tools to facilitate reading. Or just follow requirements if they’re provided. Of course, you must have flawless grammar. Reread your letter to make sure you don’t have any mistakes.
Write easily, conveying your idea and thoughts so that you are understood correctly.
It is very important to clarify in advance whether there are any requirements for the format or content of the letter. Especially if this is not a real letter, but a student assignment. The number of words, format styles, dates – all this must be observed. Do not ignore any of these specifications, even if they seem insignificant. If you prove yourself on the worse side, what will they think of the person to whom you wrote the recommendation? Just think about it.
Obviously, writing a letter of recommendation is not a difficult task at all. If you wish, you can deal with it very quickly. Think about the impression that the person you are writing about has made on you. Now your task is to share this experience with others. Make a plan that will facilitate the task and help to avoid unnecessary facts.
Remember that someone’s future may depend on your letter of recommendation, so write it carefully and responsibly. Or order a paper written by our professional writers. We will make this letter as personal as possible, using your information and requirements!