Careful planning and good preparation are integral parts of any kind of art. Writing is not an exception! The author needs to think through the whole process of creating text. While reading our article, you can learn about the key points of writing a good story. Moreover, our recommendations will be useful for writing not only a comic book but also other kinds of literature.
A comic story is one of the most interesting types of writing. It means a story that is created using pictures, drawings, or animations. The written part of this work consists of dialogues between heroes of the narration. Thanks to the sequential arrangement of the episodes, a complete picture of the story are formed. Often this kind of creative writing is characterized by various techniques associated with the creation of a humorous effect.
People began using drawings to interpret or create works for a long time ago. Let’s remember the Egyptian hieroglyphs! However, comics appeared much later, in the XVIII century. At first, young people were mostly interested in this phenomenon. However, after the wider distribution comic stories enthralled adults. The artist, who create them is called caricaturist. The whole history of this genre is saturated with the various changes since it originates from an early age.
We have detailed all the parts of the process of writing a comic story and highlighted the most important aspects.
Before Starting a Work
As stated earlier, creating a good comic story is largely dependent on prior preparation. You should pay attention to some points, so as not to get lost during the creative process. The preparatory part is your starting point, which requires a clear understanding of all the details. Here are some tips you might find useful.
- Writing a work plan. Before starting work with any type of activity, you should outline in detail the sequence of necessary actions and facilitate further tasks. It will be useful to highlight pressing issues that relate to your future text. What will be the plot of your story? Which genre should be assigned to? What will the first paragraphs be devoted to? What event will lead to a climax? How will the characters deal with the key conflict? What personal traits will the main character have? What is your goal in writing? Thanks to these questions, you can build a diagram of a comic story.
- Arranging is your reliable companion. Sometimes, when writing a voluminous text, which is filled with various twists and interesting characters, the author may get confused in the universe which is created by himself. A detailed description of the character and appearance of each hero along with a chronological narrative can help you avoid this and not lose the thread of what is happening. Sometimes some writers are careless about this item and endanger the end result.
- A clear separation of the introduction, the main part, and the completion of your story will help you to complete this task. After that, you need to successively break each of them into smaller passages. Each part of the text should end with a riddle, which the reader will be able to uncover while reading the following pages.
- Work with characters. To come up with the name of each hero is only the first point of a long process. You need to consider the history and role of both the main and secondary characters. Do not forget that there are no ideal ones. Relations with other people, strong character traits, dreams, worries, and shortcomings will “revive” your characters and help them get closer to the reader.
The Process of Creating a Comic Story
After clearly thinking through each stage, creating a story no longer seems as difficult as before. Now you only need to listen to your muse and follow the previously prepared instructions. We have identified key aspects that you should consider.
- Disclosure of plan items. Before beginning, you have divided the writing process into phases. Next, you only need to fill each of them with dialogues and harmoniously introduce pre-thought out main events. Try to make the character’s remarks a reflection of his unique character traits.
- Do not forget about the pictures. In comic stories, the visual part dominates. Also, remember about brevity and reduce the number of used words. Try to shorten all the text that can be replaced by a picture.
- Be dynamic. Sometimes a quiet pace can be a very bad decision. Do not be afraid to make the protagonist your exact opposite. Let your characters act silly or come across unexpected gifts of fate. This is what makes readers turn pages in amazement.
- Characters above all. While writing the story, you seem to shift all responsibility to the heroes. Let them be guided by their own ideas and desires. Allow them to do as they want. Do not be intrusive.
Perhaps this item surprised you, so let us help you sort it out.
You previously created a diagram of the entire workflow and thought out the story of each character. Now you know perfectly well who is who, right? Your task is to best demonstrate the created skills and characteristics of all the heroes of the work. Resist the temptation to make characters look like themselves. You like to sleep longer and are often late for important meetings. Is your character the same? Has this item become clear to you? Your main goal is not to turn a comic story into an autobiography.
- Do not forget to regularly check what is written. If the first drafts do not show your skills in the best way, do not worry. Even professionals in their field are not safe from encountering possible difficulties. If your first comic story is not published, this is not a reason to lose faith in your strength and abandon writing stories. In the process, you can change some storylines, work on the behavior of the characters and make other adjustments. Editing is your best friend, that will help to create a great story.
- Add realism. Focus on the main lines of the plot and do not get distracted by unnecessary aspects. You can turn to some neutral person for help.
- Remember about created personalities. The actions and words of your characters have to be coherent and consistent with the original image. Thanks to this, you will be able to maintain harmony and support the interest of the reader.
- Dilute the plot with various locations. If the story takes place in a cafe, add to the replicas of the heroes their impressions of this place. Thanks to this, readers can learn more about the characters and immerse themselves in the atmosphere of the story.
- Take care of the illustrations. If you can’t arrange the visual accompaniment of the story, while the drawing skills leave much to be desired, do not despair. Professional artists will help you to complete this task. However, before ordering work, ask for examples. Some artists can embellish their skills to attract more customers.
After Finishing the Work
This stage involves the final editing and publication of your story. If you are satisfied with the creation and sincerely rejoice for your heroes, do not be greedy. Let others enjoy your comic story.
After implementing all the tasks you can proceed to publication. This process may have some difficulties and pitfalls. The publication of comic stories did not escape this. Let us clarify some difficult points and give useful tips.
- Contact professionals. Any kind of work requires uniqueness and impeccable quality. If plagiarism takes up more than 10% of the story, you will likely have to forget about good publishing. Do not try to cope with the entire editing process by yourself and trust a reliable editor. From time to time, a person from the outside may notice minor flaws that you might miss.
- How do you see the end result of the work? Thoughts on this will help you to imagine all the stages of publication. There are many options. You can publish a comic story on social networks and other resources, and then try to sell it by yourself. Another way is to contact various publishers who may be interested in your work and will help with the sale. Meanwhile, do not forget that all this requires additional costs. Despite the worries and all the difficulties of the process, the self-sale of the text can have various advantages. The main one is maintaining control over the situation and protect the possibility of being deceived.
Of course, the popular publisher has much more experience and greatly facilitate the process. Meanwhile, in this case, you need to stock up on patience and tactics. Every creator wants his brainchild to be accepted by others and gain popularity. For this reason, failure can seem like a tragedy. But it is not so! If you were denied, the reasons may be petty or based on other people’s preferences. Do not be discouraged or give up until you find a suitable helper.